Saturday, July 12, 2014
A Summary of Events SO FAR
Wow, this spring was a humdinger, characterized by a broken engagement, severe situational depression, and several moves. I totally got off-track with my thousand-hour goal, and stopped logging piano hours altogether for several months. That's OK though! I'm happier and healthier than I've perhaps ever been -- now that the infection has been cut out, the bad limb severed, the baggage cut loose ;) I've learned a ton about myself over this incredibly trying year -- about both my limits and attributes -- and I've come out better for it. I have a clearer idea of what to steer clear from now, and what it is I really want.
I'm not plagued by unnecessary about "the future" anymore. I had a conversation with other artistic 20-somethings last night that led to futuristic, career-talk and caused me to realize how happily free I am of career-related angst these days. ;) I'm more concerned with everyday habits and goals. I've been eating right, exercising, taking joy in the outdoors, and in general feeling in-control, self-assured, and more "grown-up" than ever. :D
In general I've been doing a lot more creative things lately, including writing and drawing. The biggest plus though, is that I've formed a band that plays my music (!).
We've played 2 shows since forming in March, and have another coming up on August 1st. We've also begun recording a demo album. I get such a high from playing and recording -- it really lifts my spirits like nothing else can, and my band-mates are incredibly talented, amiable, and driven folks. This whole year I've been surrounded by incredible dysfunctionality (as an English major I reserve the right to make up words when necessary) and it's a relief to be around basically contented people whose lives hum along without too much drama and discord. :)
I've no idea how many hours of piano I've played this spring and summer -- I'll log some of those, but I won't be able to count most of them towards my 1000 - hour goal :( That's okay! I'll know (if I reach my three-year goal) that I played more hours in reality - BONUS!
I'm feeling good; my musical wheels are spinning -- my life is my own again.
______________________________________________
The Nitty-Gritty
Right now I'm working on expanding my knowledge of the scales -- I say the numbers of flats/sharps when I play them -- I have been looking for relationships between keys, etc.
Wednesday, Friday, and today I played an hour; I played two hours on Thursday.
I'm looking for a cool log widget online so I can have a nice visual 'X' for each day played, but instead I might take a weekly picture of the "analog" log I have going to chart my progress -- I looove seeing x's of progress :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment